SEO is no more a hidden art. It has developed well in past 10 years and many things have changed around in the working of search engines and SEO techniques. Best as well as Worst thing about SEO is that techniques in SEO changes quite frequently but the goal remains the same to get Quality traffic from search engines. In these advancements there are few old or say outdated stories related to seo that are there on Internet which are no more then a myth. So in this article we will be discussing over them.
- Myth: "Using picture links instead of text link is bad seo"
Fact: Many people compromises on that and spoils their website design just to change picture links into text link as they believe on this myth but the fact is that it's wrong. Search engines equally gives preference to image links just you have to make sure that you have used proper alt tag in the image links.
- Myth: "I can secure my web page from search engines by adding that web page link in Robots.txt with disallow tag"
Fact: Again this is a myth that in this case you have used Robots.txt and have used disallow tag for the web page but still if search engine bots find external link to that web page then bots may crawl to your web page making it insecure . So, the best way to protect you web page from bots is to make your web page password protected as bots can not bypass password security.
- Myth: "My website will only be indexed in search engines if I will submit my website in them"
Fact: No, this is a myth as your website can also get Indexed from the external incoming links to your website from other websites. In case of SEO, getting indexed from external incoming links is preferred way of getting indexed then submitting site in search engines.
- Myth: "SEO is an easy job"
Fact: Well in todays world of Internet, SEO is not that easy as it used to be in past years. Now search engines have gone clever and can even punish you for using shortcut tricks.
- Myth: "SEO is all about getting higher PR (Page Rank) "
Fact: If you are thinking that SEO is all about PR then you are wrong. SEO is to get Quality Traffic on your website. It can be in terms of Faithful readers or Potential Customers. If you are not getting Quality visitors on your high page rank website then page rank of your website is of no use.
- Myth: "All visitors lands up in the front page of my website"
Fact: Search Engines gives merit to each page on the website individually and give them credit on the basis of content on that page. So visitors will directly land on the page that have corresponding information that the visitor is searching for in the search engine.
- Myth: "A flash website have no chance of getting good SEO"
Fact: Well this is a pure myth that flash page can't get a good SEO. However you will get less options of promoting that but that doesn't meant that you can't do good SEO for that. There are over 100 factors where you can still work on for getting good SEO for that flash page.
- Myth: "Using Meta Tags with lots of keywords helps in getting higher page rank"
Fact: Although Meta Tag have played a dramatic role in the past for SEO but now search engines are more clever then before , So you should only use relevant data in Meta Tags instead of filling it with keywords. In case your Meta Tags are not appropriate for your content then your website can be punished by search engines accordingly.
- Myth: "Positions in Search Engines are guaranteed"
Fact: It's not true that once you have achieved a high position in search engine then that position will never go down but still if you have done good SEO then it will alway give you some good results.
- Myth: "SEO companies guarantee that web page you want to promote will come first in Google search result"
Fact: Nobody can guarantee that which ten website will come up in google top 10, this is a sales strategy of SEO companies that they try to get more customers. In Google Help Center it is clearly stated that "No one can guarantee rankings in Google." . Google has over 200 rules to determine results.
- Myth: "Repeating keyword in your web page content will get a higher rank of web page for that keyword in serp (Search Engine Result Pages)"
Fact: This is absolutely wrong, Search engines have gone smarter . In case you repeat the same keyword in your content then you will not only spoil the content of your web page but you can also be flagged as Spam site via search engines.
- Myth: "When our website will get enough visitors then we will think of doing it's SEO"
Fact: Isn't that funny ? But it's true i have dealt with many clients who have reacted in this way when i gave them the proposal for SEO. They might be suffering from the disease of "Chicken before the egg" syndrome.
- Myth: "Trading link with any website will help my website to rank higher in search engine"
Fact: If you are getting the back link from the website that doesn't belong to your website then the visitors coming to your website won't be interested in you website content and that will only increase the bounce rate of your website and links that you will be placing on your website for another website that doesn't belong to the content theme of your website, then you might even loose visitors because of that.
- Myth: "Sitelinks only appear for the websites with high PR (Page rank)
Fact: Sitelinks are automatically generated by search engines on the basis of traffic that the websites are getting. Sitelinks are auto generated and only show sitelinks for results when Search Engines think they'll be useful to the user. You can't do anything in sitelinks except blocking them from being displayed in search engines.
- Myth: "I should always consider another sites's Page-rank before i link to them or ask that website to owner to link me"
Fact: will that help your visitors ? Link to sites that your website visitors might be interested in and only ask for those website owners to link you back whose website visitors might be interested in content of your website.
- Myth: "Website with higher PR (Page Rank) will always rank higher in SERP (Search Engine Result Pages)".
Fact: You should always keep that in mind that Page Rank is just 1 criteria for SERP there are more then 200 criteria for that . If search engines think that the website with lower PR (Page Rank) have more relevant content for the keyword then the website with higher PR (Page Rank) then the website with lower PR (Page Rank) will rank higher in SERP.
- Myth: "We should place our all keywords in H1 tags"
Fact: Using Header tags is always helpful in SEO but if you are using H1 tag multiple times on your web page then search engines can punish your website for that.
Now these were the few myths that we have discussed in this articles. I am sure that you will be able to over come these myths and making your website better for visitors of your websites as well as for Search Engines.